With the coming pre-patch on July 19th, a lot of changes are being made to pet battles. Most of the changes due to occur deal with AoE abilities and pets that use them. A list of the following are known changes that will take effect with the launch of the pre-patch:
Pet/Pet Ability Changes:
- Undead pets will now deal -25% damage during their invincibility round.
- Frog Kiss and Sleeping Gas will now have a 1 round cooldown added to them.
- Thunderbolt, Arcane Storm, Carpnado, Psionic Storm, Avalanche, and Grave Destruction now deal -15% base damage. Thunderbolt will also have a 5 round cooldown to bring it in line with other, similar abilities.
- Graves – Clobber and Bonestorm have had their ability slots swapped. Also, Graves’ base stats will be changed. At level 25, its power will now be 297 (was 314), its speed will be 244 (was 211), and its health will be 1587 (was 1669).
- Cleave’s damage is reduced by 25%.
- Shell Armor’s duration is reduced to 2 rounds from 3 rounds.
- Howl now only affects 1 attack rather than 2 rounds.
- Pandaren Water Spirit’s Whirlpool and Geyser abilities now share the same slot.
I’m going to go over these a bit more in-depth along with providing the dev’s notes on these changes in a post under the Legion tab. So if you’re interested in hearing my thoughts on these changes, feel free to take a look.
The WoD Deluxe Digital Edition is going away, so if you haven’t gotten your Dread Hatchling pet by the launch of the pre-patch, you’re almost out of luck. 😦 The only way to obtain the pet will be by getting a code from the physical collector’s edition of WoD.
The Brawler’s Guild will be going away for a while, so if you haven’t earned the Clock’em pet, you will be unable to do so until the Brawler’s Guild returns. If you’ve earned the right to purchase the pet (by obtaining rank 4), you will still be able to do so while the Brawler’s Guild is down. (Only the fights are down, the actual venue of the Guild will still be open.)
The amount of Pet Charms that you can earn from the Draenor dailies will be reduced by half. This is to encourage you to do the Legion dailies which will also award the charms. As you can imagine, this means that Pet Charms are still the currency for purchasing pet battle-related items in Legion. If you have a stockpile of them, you’ll be in a good place when the launch of Legion occurs.
Some battle pets will be receiving visual updates. I don’t know all of the pets that will be receiving these updates, but I do know that rabbits, squirrels, and sheep will be some of the pets that will be updated. WarcraftPets has a more extensive list of pets that will be receiving these updates.
The Demon Invasions of the Legion pre-patch will have a pet associated with them, the Felbat Pup, much like WoD and the Bronze Whelpling. However, in order to obtain the pet, you must purchase it with a special currency that can be obtained during the Invasions – Nethershards. The pet will cost 150 Nethershards. It is unknown if this pet will be available after Legion launches or not (though I could have sworn that I read somewhere that it would NOT be available), so you should collect it during the pre-patch as a “just in case” measure.
I’m sure there will be more pet battle-related topics to come up in the weeks to come. When (or if) there are, I’ll be sure to add them here. 🙂